Monday 8 February 2010

Schedule a Reload

Occasionally I might make changes to a switch or router that may lock me out. If I am sat next to the device this isn't a problem, if I am not it is. By scheduling a reboot or reload I can be sure that the change I make is removed when the device reloads because it will reload the startup-config which I saved at the start of the session.

First I save the running configuration to make sure the startup-config is current. I then schedule my reload to allow me enough time to make my changes. If the reload isn't required I simply cancel it.



switch1#copy run start
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Building configuration...
[OK]
switch1#reload in 015
Reload scheduled in 15 minutes
Proceed with reload? [confirm]

switch1#reload cancel
switch1#
***
*** --- SHUTDOWN ABORTED ---
***
switch1#